Sunday, September 25, 2016

curiousity on the road

    I have been doing a lot of traveling over the last few weeks so this post comes in the form of pictures (most are courtesy of my husband).

    At the beginning of September we flew to Jackson Hole and spent five days backpacking in Grand Teton National Park, followed by a couple of days driving around Yellowstone.


Alaska Basin (actually outside of the National Park in Caribou-Targhee National Forest)
Me at Sunset Lake, also in Alaska Basin

Behaving like an ectotherm at Marion Lake after our first day of hiking

    We encountered a few more people at Yellowstone, and also a few bison and elk.


My husband's genius photography makes it look like we are the only ones there gazing across the valley

Grand Prismatic Spring, Yellowstone National Park

    Last week a work event brought me to the Duke Lemur Center, a research facility housing 250 lemurs from 21 different species. What an amazing place. Lemurs are very cute and charismatic so I knew it would be a fun experience. It is not a zoo, but tours are available by appointment. We got the VIP tour (it always matters who you are with!), and I was absolutely blown away. It is one of those experiences where you can feel yours eyes and smile widening with each second. The facility, its staff, and the lemurs absolutely amazed me. I was pretty busy asking questions so didn't take a ton of pictures.

Coquerel's Sifaka (Propithecus coquerli) more interested in eating leaves than me

    What a great experience. If you are ever in the Durham area I highly recommend you inquire about making an appointment for a tour of the facility.

No comments:

Post a Comment